Education is a vital factor in the progression and development of any nation. The youth of the kingdom are the pinnacles of growth and aspiration, paving the way towards a knowledge-driven society. This section showcases the Saudi Arabia's efforts to promote and ensure that knowledge and skills are embedded throughout the culture, preparing the adolescents of the nation to progress into the building blocks of their society. Here, you will be taken through the many programs in the education system dedicated to early childhood advancement while also understanding the public education system. This segment will also shed light on the conditions of general education for non-Saudis, the national and foreign education related to private schools, special education programs and training curricula for individuals with disabilities, distance education and e-learning as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, health and safety awareness and measures of implementation in the schooling.
"Education shall aim to instill the Islamic creed in the young, impart knowledge and skills to them, and prepare them to be useful members in building their society, loving their homeland, and taking pride in its history." ...... (Basic Law of Saudi Arabia Article 13)
Early Childhood Stage
This stage is dedicated to children under the age of six and is offered through government and private kindergartens throughout the Saudi Arabia and are divided into nurseries and pre-school.
Early childhood projects and programs include:
- Building curricular and developing systems in early childhood.
- Virtual Kindergarten.
- Buildings and equipment.
- Foundational practices for early childhood literary.
- Studying criteria and controls for admission regulations and evaluation of students in early childhood stages.
- Healthy nutrition practices.
- Attracting specialists and experts in the early childhood stage.
This app gives you educational modules in alignment with the Saudi curriculum, in order to provide means of remote education.
- More about early childhood
- Early Childhood General Adminsitration
- A guide for returning to Kindergarten during COVID-19
- Register and learn about early childhood schools and their locations, click here
Public education is free and necessary for citizens and residents enrolling in government schools. An appropriate educational environment, facilities, textbooks and means of free transportation are provided by the MoE for the following three stages:
- Elementary School: This stage consists of six academic years, starting at the ages of 5 – 6.
- Middle School: This stage consists of three academic years.
- High School: This stage consists of three academic years. Industrial institutes and construction and architectural institutes also offer high school levels.
Noor System is an inclusive program of educational procedures for registration in schools for primary, secondary, or early childhood stages of education. The MoE launched this platform with the intent to provide the guardians of students with the opportunity to register their children in any government or private school within Saudi Arabia.
- Service: Registering a Student in General Education (Registration in Schools)
- Service: Registering in the Summer Semester
- To view the Educational Map for Schools click here.
General education statistics for all regions of the Kingdom for the year 2021-2022
|Number of Education administrators
|Numbers of Teachers
|Number of students
|Number of classes
|number of schools
For more detailed statistics, please click here.
Adapt New Technology
The MoE is keen to optimize technical development. During the LEAP23 conference, the MoE presented 9 interactive digital platforms and services that support the student's current and future academic journey; In order to achieve the comprehensive quality that serves the education process, develops its performance, and enhances its gains, including the Rawdati and Madrasati platforms, which provide different operational models for e-learning and distance education, the virtual school to serve school students in remote areas, the central examinations platform, and the information system, and The innovative educational system Noor which is comprehensive and integrated educational processes, in addition to the (Safeer2) platform to provide all services related to studying abroad and scholarships, and the Muaahal platform to provide academic documents digitally for graduates and students of public and university education for the public and private sectors, and the certificate equivalency service for different educational systems.
National Education Portal (IEN)
General Education Progress in Global Performance Indicators in 2022
Developing Saudi Curricula
General Education for Non-Saudis
Non-Saudis residing in the kingdom are eligible to enroll in the public education sector in all its stages if the following conditions are met:
- Non-Saudis are accepted in government schools if teachers and classes are available, without the need to lease additional buildings. This is carried out after the registration of Saudi students has been completed. For the first semester of both the secondary and intermediate stages, admission is carried out at the beginning of the second round of examinations, after the Sudi students from the first round have successfully passed their examinations and have been granted an official spot in the school.
The selection of non-Saudis for the remaining vacant seats will be in accordance with the following priorities:
- Children of government sector employees residing in Saudi Arabia registered in the previous academic year in government schools. Preference is given to non-Saudi children born in the Kingdom.
- New students who are children of government sector employees transferred from private schools.
- If vacant seats are within the specified percentage, children of retirees of the private sector are registered; however, priority is given to the children of government sector retirees.
- The admission conditions apply to the student, meaning they must present original educational documents obtained from abroad to be accepted into the appropriate classes.
- Egyptian students wishing to enroll in the secondary stage must bring the original end-of-basic education form, the original statement of grades in the Basic Education Completion Certificate Examination, or the official original transcript to demonstrate their success after approval from the Egyptian Ministry of Education stamped by the Republic's logo with confirmation by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Saudi Consulate.
- Any student who has obtained an end-of-secondary school qualification or vocational major cannot repeat high school in the Kingdom.
- Any student who has obtained an end-of-secondary school qualification or vocational major cannot repeat high school in Saudi Arabia.
- Applicants are transferred if they do not meet these conditions for both public and private schools after the end of the first semester. Their admission to government schools is subject to these controls and procedures for priority vacancies at the beginning of each academic year. To achieve justice and equality throughout, children of Saudi women and non-Saudi fathers, children of the Gulf Cooperation Council, children displaced by tribes holding five-year cards, members of the Yemeni community, and children of diplomats who have diplomatic cards, receive the same treatment as Saudi students.
- Please visit this page for more information on non-Saudi students' acceptance in the kingdom's education sector, please visit this page.
National and Foreign Education (Private Schools)
- A list of foreign schools for expatriates residing in the Kingdom.
For more information on educational investment services, click here.
Education for People with Disabilities
Based on the National Strategy for the Development of General Education to provide equal learning opportunities and support systems to all students, the MoE has paid special attention to the education of students with disabilities, ensuring that educational services are provided to them within a healthy environment commensurate with their health and psychological requirements, thereby contributing to the enhancement of these students' learning outcomes and overcoming all difficulties. One of the most prominent interactive services created by the ministry for this category is The Educational Map Of Special Education Institutes And Programmes In Education Departments; click here to take advantage of them.
Distance Education and E-Learning
The National eLearning Center adopted E-Learning standards for education and training in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. These E-Learning Standards include:
- E-learning standards for public education in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- E-learning standards for higher education in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- E-learning standards for training in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- A list of licenses to provide e-learning and training programs
For more information about distance education in the Kingdom, click here.
National E-Learning Platform (Madrasati platform)
The MoE has provided an e-platform known as the Madrasati platform to manage and monitor the education processes in line with present and future digital requirements. The platform includes many electronic educational tools that support teaching and learning processes and contribute to achieving the educational goals of curricula and decisions.
The MoE has developed and published illustrative videos and step-by-step instructions on how to use the platform for Students, Parents, Teachers, School Leaders, Educational Supervisors and Kindergarten. The platform also includes guidelines and instruction manuals:
- Guideline for Students
- Guideline for Parents
- Guideline for School Managers
- Education Strategy Guide for Teachers
- User's Manual for Teachers
- Guideline for Educational Supervisors
- Instruction Manual for Special Educational Institutions, Programs and Centers
For more information about distance education in the Kingdom, click here.
Health and Safety in Schools
The MoE is concerned with raising awareness, promoting and evaluating student's health through the use of specific health indicators and monitoring these indicators periodically.
A set of concepts, principles, systems and services intended to promote student health at an early age, thus raising the level of public health by using health skills. Additionally, it engages communication channels and media to spread health awareness both directly and indirectly throughout the general community. This has led the MoE to work in cooperation with the Ministry of Health on various programs, including the following:
- Regular visits to the surrounding environment and school cafeteria
- Dealing with infectious cases in schools
- Procedures for dealing with emergencies in schools
- Education on the COVID-19 pandemic
COVID-19 Pandemic and Education
The MoE believes in the necessity of adhering to the preventive measures recommended by the World Health Organization and the Ministry of Health in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia without neglecting the completion of the educational process, taking the initiative to move to the stage of e-learning and distance education by enforcing a secure plan to come up with the educational goals for all members of the educational process including students, teachers, parents, school leaders and educational supervisors.
Noor system And key learning services
Saudi Arabia has taken a quantum leap in its education technology and digital solutions. The successful milestones for Saudi Arabia in this field are massive history shaped by hitting record-breaking to rise above the challenges. Saudi Arabia has developed a blueprint to transform these milestones into sustainable practices. These practices will let Saudi Arabia take shape to play an active role in educational technology. Noor system will facilitate and automate most education processes and create fast solutions for Noor's users, along with breaking down the lengthy procedures for students. The "Noor" system is a game changer in the Saudi educational process that reflects how much Saudis prioritize the importance of technology in all the educational processes and seek optimal usage of this feature.
The Objective of The "Noor" system:
Noor is a central system that provides electronic enrolment for first-grade students that enables school administrators, test management and admissions staff in the Education Department, and parents to easily register students through an automated, integrated system. Accordingly, the information and registration process, which is inserted by the Director of the Test Department, admission, and authorized persons, will validate the enrolment process so that parents, school managers and others submit and send students' electronic enrolment requests to the various primary schools, whether applied to government or the Islamic schools, in which accordingly the administrators of these schools then submit and accept or reject the applications.
"Noor" System Feature:
Noor is a central system that provides electronic enrolment for first-grade students that enables school administrators, test management and admissions staff in the Education Department, and parents to easily register students through an automated, integrated system.
Accordingly, the information and registration process, which is inserted by the Director of the Test Department, admission, and authorized persons, will validate the enrolment process so that parents, school managers and others submit and send students' electronic enrolment requests to the various primary schools, whether applied to Government or the Islamic schools, in which accordingly the administrators of these schools then submit and accept or reject the applications.
- Visit the Noor portal
- Click on "Test Schedule"
- Enter the required details for the semester to know
- Access to Noor System
- Click on the "School Schedule".
Print a certificate:
This service allows you to issue certificates indicating government school results.
How to apply for this service
- Log in to the Noor portal.
- The degree statements.
- Student score notification.
Click here for more
University and Higher Education
- Bachelor's Degree Stage: The ability to obtain a bachelor's degree is offered by public universities, free of charge to citizens, regular students and external scholarship students, where a monthly income is given throughout the academic period. To access the unified admission portal, click here. Private universities also offer this in various programs.
- Masters and PhD stages.
- University Low.
A service provided by the MoE aiming to verify the acceptance of all students in all institutions of higher education and training to be used as a reference in preventing duplicate admissions of students in more than one educational institution to assist educational intuitions to invest in thin investing made available to them optimally.
Conditions for Admission to Saudi Universities
- Obtaining a high school diploma for a period not exceeding five years.
- Passing aptitude tests per the requirements of the major of interest or college. To register for exams, visit the Education Evaluation Commission website.
- General Aptitude Test (GAT): is a test for high school graduates who intend to continue their studies in higher education institutions. The test measures a number of abilities associated with the learning process, such as the analytical abilities and evidentiary abilities of students. The test is broken down into two parts, one is a verbal exam (linguistics) and the other is a quantitative exam (mathematics).
- Academic Achievement Test: is a standardized measure for all secondary school graduates, allowing a fair and accurate criterion for all, which aids the post-secondary educational authorities to select the students who have exceedingly achieved the most in their secondary school curricula.
- Post-Graduate General Aptitude Test (PGAT): requires students to possess mental capabilities that enable the student to pass the requirements of the academic course regardless of the major. This is a standardized measure to ensure a fair and accurate standard for all university students, thus helping the educational authorities with post-graduate programs choose the students with the most mental abilities to follow-up and meet the educational requirements in those specified areas.
Technical and Vocational Training
Technical and Vocational Training Corporation (TVTC) offers several training programs in its training facilities, as well as in strategic partnerships institutes and international technical colleges. In addition to provide training programs in private training facilites, and flexible community support programs. The total number of TVTC facilities reaches 260, covering all parts of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Colleges of Technology: Technical colleges qualify students at high school or their equivalent to obtain an intermediate university degree (sixth level of the National Qualifications Framework). These colleges also offer some applied bachelor programs (seventh level of the National Qualifications Framework) to qualify trainees as technical engineers.
- International Colleges of Technology: Governmental technical colleges provide training through international operators. These colleges offer diplomas in two years, preceded by intensive English courses. Bachelor of Applied Engineering Program is taking place in the Technical Trainers College
- Institutes of strategic partnerships: Non-profit technical training institutes that the TVTC adopts to establish, license, supervise, and operate with the private sector. It offers holders of high school or equivalent technical training programs in a period by employing beginner training.
- Industrial institutes and secondary institutes of architecture and construction: Secondary training institutes qualify middle school graduates and first and second secondary grades to obtain a diploma of industrial institutes, architecture and construction. The training period is (3) years. These institutes also offer various evening training programs available to all members of the society.
- Vocational training institutes in prisons: TVTC established Institutes in cooperation with the General Directorate of Prisons for inmates in prisons and care homes for girls during their sentence, to train and qualify them in specialized professional programs and courses. The graduate is granted a certificate from the Industrial Institute in the region without indicating that he obtained the qualification in prison.
Private Training Centers
- Service: Apply for a training and Vocational Training Corporation.
- Service: Applying to the TVTC
- Service: Registration in the unified admission portal for the International Colleges program.
- Service: Inquire about available training units and divisions.
- Service: Career Tendencies and Abilities Determination
For Saudi Students
Saudi Arabia provides an opportunity for individuals wishing to continue their education outside the kingdom in accordance with the needs of the labor market and the requirements and developments of Saudi Arabia through the scholarship's programs offered by the MoE. The scholarship agency at the MoE is actively preparing and qualifying Saudi human resources with the aim of becoming a competitor in the labor market and scientific fields of research both locally and globally, acting as an essential branch in supporting Saudi universities in the public and private sectors with a variety of distinguished competencies.
The Program of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques for Foreign Scholarships
Saudi Arabia launched the Program of the Custodian of the Two Holy for Foreign Scholarships in 1426 AH / 2005 AD to prepare prominent generations in a society based on knowledge and economy. The program consisted of three phases, each lasting 5 years. The third phase included the creation of new paths, such as leading universities, medical facilities, international scholarships and excellence. New specializations have also been created in consistency with the kingdom's Vision 2030, such as, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, air transport, and health specialties.
The Safeer Platform provides smart solutions and distinguished services, which contribute to facilitating procedures to study abroad based on the best practices and international standards, in compliance with scholarship regulations and legislations by the MoE.
- Service: Apply for a scholarship through the Program of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques for Foreign Scholarships.
- Service: Request approval of post-graduate studies abroad through means of personal account.
- Service: Request a change of university for students studying abroad.
The internal scholarship program is for regular students in private universities and colleges. If the ministry approves the grant request, the ministry will pay the approved tuition fees based on each specialization accredited per semester to ensure that the number of years does not exceed the allocated years of the official grant according to the academic plan for each specialization. The scholarship will continue for students if the terms and conditions are maintained.
Note: The minimum average is 2.75 / 5 and 1.75 / 4.
- Service: Request for an internal grant for students of private universities and colleges
- Service: Apply for Internal Government Scholarship for Saudis
For Non-Saudi Students
Non-Saudi students can apply for scholarships in public universities by visiting the website of the university of interest or by visiting this page
Leave Days and Official Holidays
The official holidays of the Kingdom related to the education sector include the following:
- Weekend – Thursday and Friday.
- Eid Holidays – Eid Al-Fitr and Eid Al-Adha.
- Mid-term Vacation.
- End of School Year Leave (Summer Vacation).
- National Day Holiday.
You can also view the academic calendar on the MoE’s website for numerous academic years.
Illiteracy and Adult Education
Saudi Arabia is concerned and dedicated to combating illiteracy through adult education. This form of education is supported technically, financially, and administratively to increase the national level of knowledge and spread of culture among the members of society. A time plan is presented by the competent educational authorities to accommodate the illiterate and eradicate illiteracy in general. The relevant ministries and departments will carry out this implementation. The MoE has previously created a clear and concise roadmap to tackle illiteracy in various regions and governorates throughout the Kingdom, contributing to reducing the illiteracy rate, and plummeting it to 5.6%.
The Learner Program
Initiatives and Efforts in The Educational Aspect
Notability of Talented People
Saudi Arabia sponsors talented people. It provides them with special care to develop and enhance their talents, offering them an opportunity in the field of their particular genius. The relevant authorities set out the means for their discovery, educational programs, and the advantages that will encourage them, such as the Mawhiba program offered by King Abdul-Aziz and His Companions Foundation for Giftedness and Creativity. It provides talented people with the means of scientific research to benefit from their capabilities.
Lifelong Learning Initiative (Estidama)
Estidama is a development initiative working to provide those in need with the necessary life skills to enhance the values of lifelong learning. Additionally, it empowers the youth of both genders through various educational and training opportunities.
University Exchange Program
The University Exchange Program provides a desire to enhance international cooperation in the field of higher education to develop capabilities, gain knowledge, exchange benefits and strengthen international relations between universities, where innovative programs available in other countries are taken advantage of.
Saudi Digital Library
The Saudi Digital Library is a massive advanced digital library that includes a variety of specializations that support educational processes and meet the needs of beneficiaries in higher education institutions in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The library contains more than 680,000 e-books dedicated to various fields.
Scientific research is one of the most essential elements of interest of the kingdom. It aims to transfer the national economy's dependence on oil to a more knowledge-based economy. The kingdom has invested great attention to research and innovation. It has set goals that it aims to achieve by the year 2030, including being among the top 10 countries in the Global Competitiveness Index. Saudi Arabia is home to substantial scientific institutions such as the King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable Energy and other efficient Saudi research institutions. Moreover, most universities in Saudi Arabia have established scientific and technical research centers dedicated to many sectors of interest.
Educational Programs in Prisons
Partnership with The Private Sector
Mobile Applications for the Education and Training Sector
Please click here to discover the key government applications for the Education and Training Sector, please click here.
- University education statistics
- General Education Statistics
- Inquiry about Student Marks Results
- Education Indicators
- Public Education
- Education and Training Survey
- General Statistics - University Education
- Directory of services of the Ministry of Education
- Budget of the Ministry of Education
- Laws and regulations
- e-services rating
- International Exhibition and Conference of Higher Education
- Licenses for private educational institutions
- Open Data for Education & Training
- Noor System
- Newsletter subscription